Seven days without sugar: day four

The following article by the author originally appeared on Examiner.com June 11, 2016
I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't glad I'm more than halfway through this self-inflicted sugary deprivation week. I'd also be a liar if I said I had given up all sugar this week - but it's really not my fault.
I have realized more than ever that in America, land of the processed food obsession, it's really tough to find enough to eat sometimes if one wants to go sugar-free. For example, I'm on a tight budget. I was craving a breakfast sandwich. I looked at the labels and it just appeared nothing was sugar-free. I had no choice but to break my own ban in the guise of a sausage/egg/cheese/English muffin sandwich. (You don't want me passing out, do you?)
I also decided I could buy some bread, after all, if it touts "no high fructose corn syrup" and 21 whole grains per serving, and is low in fat (also no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.) I see it contains brown sugar and honey. Ahem.
On the plus side, though, I have not had cookies, cake, donuts, ice cream or any of my other go-to fave desserts that had become a daily staple. Somewhere along the way, once I had gained a few pounds, I believe I slipped up. What's a donut a day between friends?
I've also learned to check every label, eat as much whole food as possible, and think about what goes into my coffee. Though I still need oral surgery, I have a smile on my face thinking I'm helping to offset future dental problems.
HOW I FEEL: I am feeling fine, but I only give myself a B-. The breakfast sandwich, the popcorn in oil, just aren't quite right. Am I being too hard on myself? I like that I can ignore a half-eaten bag of shortbread and opt for a peach instead!
So only three more days to go. Yes, I have some donut holes I picked up today (they were free) but didn't eat. I am saving them. I'm curious to see how, at 12:01 Wednesday morning when I eat one, whether it will taste the same, better, or worse? Or even better, if I will forget all about them, and throw them in the trash bin.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons Images. Source: https://visualsonline.cancer.gov/details.cfm?imageid=2439, photographer unknown
Contact the author at www.lauriewiegler.com.

Comments