You don’t have to be 25 to be an environmentalist

Although I applaud the droves of young peoole helping put climate change on the map, I bristle whenever someone says Boomers or even Gen X don't care.
I interviewed senior scientist Jane Goodall in 2021, and arguably, she cares more about fighting climate change than the average teenager. In fact, those slightly younger were teens during the hippie era. I once lived beneath the home of a lady five years older than I, whose ripe garden in the outer avenues of San Francisco informed many of my views on sustainable living.
Ageism, I often say, is one of the most popular "acceptable" isms (when was the last time you heard ageism discussed on the same level as racism?) Late night talk show hosts make money off the laughs they get joking about octogenarian politicians. Even supposedly proper journalists aren't being taken to task for their slurs against our President. Last I checked, his list of accomplishments was long; and though he once fell off his bike, at least he was riding a bike.
Environmental ageism is an outgrowth of overarching ageism: someone insisting they carry your bag for you; a younger person laughing when they see you dance; rejection for jobs based on wrinkles, grey hair and liver spots; labeling someone "adorable" because she or he has found love at a certain age. And at the same time, we should not discriminate against young people: I remember being told no one would take me seriously till age 30. That wasn't true -- I sold one of my finest articles, my first, to Entrepreneur at 25!
I hope everyone will be better aware of ageism, and strive to accept all individuals and their worth and contributions. While it is true that the body changes and physical limitations accelerate, most of us are exercising both our minds and bodies. Our wisdom and experience means we know what we need to work on. When I was young, I foolishly jogged in worn sneakers, causing my meniscus to tear, which required surgery. I look back and think, 'My 61-year-old self never would have done that!'

Comments