Five things I have learned to do myself because of the pandemic

These are difficult times. We who are fortunate enough to have our health owe it to others to reduce viral transmission. That means allieviating unnecessary risk. So in that vein, I have taught myself a thing or two in “lockdown”:
1. I have twice cut my own hair. Yesterday’s cut was even more dramatic than the last. This time I cut about five inches off to make a bob. I did it with two quick, basic cuts, one on each side at an angle, then trimmed the stragglers. Sure, I haven't seen it from the back. It may be completely crooked, but honestly, does it matter? My GP was not impressed that I thought I was mitigating Covid risk, but did say during our telemed sesh that I was looking good.
2. Embarrassing to admit, but I didn't know what Bluetooth really did or what a VPN was. I now (basically) know, even though I haven't figured out why Netflix doesn't want me to have my (Norton) VPN on while watching and I can never seem to turn it off completely.
3. Zoom with a virtual background. I am a little too addicted to this. I think my friends are laughing at me, not with me.
4. Crochet an afghan. Ok, I learned to do this as a teen, but the skill never seemed so necessary before. My thoughts run from, ’Will Amazon run out of yarn?’ to Am I going to be able to cuddle with a new beau any time before afghan no. 2,061?’ I once made an afghan for a boyfriend, who had the nerve to keep it even after we broke up. My brother ran into him years later in San Francisco and he raved about it, probably as his new girlfriend whispered in his ear.
5. Really enjoy my own company. This means valuing my daily breaths (we can no longer take them for granted) and my tears (still grieving the deaths of my mother and beloved cat, Wally, as well as my pre-pandemic life). I am making myself laugh at times, not full-on crazy, but in a way that is new. I used to share laughs at my local Starbucks, but it has closed at least twice due to outbreaks. These days, making my coffee at home and talking to myself has been a life-affirming substitute, and I don't spend $4.30 a pop.

Comments